Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Japanese Hurdles

Some of you may know that Devin and I recently (last November) applied for what's called the JET program -- Japan Exchange and Teaching. Devin would be a CIR (coordinator of international relations) and I would be an ALT (assistant language teacher). This would be a year or two position that we would have in Japan. Now to get the job there are several hurdles we must go through.

Hurdle 1: Application
The application is WAY TOO LONG! Yes, I realize this is a big job that lots of people apply for; but really... do you need 3 copies of a 20 page application plus birth certificates/passport copies, diploma copies, teaching certificate copies, official university transcript, plus 2 reference letters (that had to make 3 copies of their reference letter and seal and sign each envelopes). Do you need to know every teaching class I've ever taken? (being a teacher that's all I have taken) Needless to say the application was NOT my cup of tea.

Practically 3 weeks later hurdle 1 was complete and put in the mail!

2 weeks after that we received a small little slip saying they had received our applications but we wouldn't hear anything about if we even made it to the next hurdle until FEBRUARY!! That's almost 3 whole months from when the applications were sent.

Hurdle 2: Interview
We haven't quite reached hurdle 2... yet...but yes we will get to hurdle 2!!! Devin and I found out that we both will be interviewed with the Consulate General of Japan. (I don't know about you, but that sounds like an important person). Our interviews are both on Thursday February 18th and luckily we were able to interview in Salt Lake.

Hurdle 3: (if we make it to hurdle 3) see if we made it
The next hurdle we'll have to encounter is after the interviews we have to wait until APRIL to see if we got the positions. April? Are you kidding me?!? That's another 3 months of waiting.

Well, we are very excited (and now nervous - realizing that it might actually happen) for all that is in store. Stay tuned for more Japanese Hurdles with the Andersen Family!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good luck Sarah! Sounds exciting!