Friday, June 12, 2009

It's OVER!

I survived my first year of teaching!!! The past few weeks have been extremely crazy as I've tried to reign my kids in. They were completely nuts and out of control. Overall though the year has been a great one. It could have been so much worse. My class was a pretty hard class with a lot of drama. We had a faculty party where they gave funny awards. Mine was a Bratz coloring book and a "Drama Queen" trophy (actually a diving trophy bought at DI and then "Drama Queen" taped over it -- classic). I got this award because of how bratty and rude some of my students were to each other. I swear no matter how hard I tried a few of them could just not get along and be nice to each other. Hardly a day went by where there wasn't arguing between these students at recess or sometime. If I had to choose just one thing to say I've learned from teaching it would be the type of parent I want (and don't want) to be. I realize so much more how the influence of parents have on all aspects of a child's life. I will not spoil my children and let them get away with anything -- they turn out to be brats. I will make my children learn how to work. As we were doing our major cleaning, I assigned everyone a job so they were all busy and there were even extra jobs so that when they were done they wouldn't just sit around doing nothing. Well one student (my "drama" maniac) didn't really do anything on his job then continued to do nothing. So I assigned him to a different job where he would complain then walk over to where he should be and continue to not work. Finally I assigned him to throughouly clean out the garbage can. The more he whined the more I told him it had to be spotless. The bell rang before he had totally finished. He spent almost a full hour and a half complaining and whining instead of working.Thank you mom and dad for teaching me how to work!

Besides about 3-4 students I LOVED my class and they were so great! We've had so many fun times over this past year.

For now, I'm just glad to relax and not think about school...until August.

HOORAY FOR SUMMER!

2 comments:

David and Catherine said...

Sounds like my primary class, unfortunately. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them five times a week. I bet you did great. Congrats on finishing your first year!

MayFamily said...

I had a fourth grade class like that. It's amazing how 3 or 4 kids can ruin a whole class! Good luck! Hopefully you will get a class with less drama next year.
love ya!