Sunday, February 14, 2010

Grandma's 90th Birthday

Yesterday was Grandma's 90th birthday celebration. It was a lot of fun. We had the Gary and all his family there, Wid and Jane, Chris and his family, Ruth, Stephen and Hannah, Devin and I, and Erin and her kids even drove down from Idaho.

We ate a yummy dinner that Grandma had requested (fried chicken with lots of different side dishes). We projected a slideshow of pictures above the fireplace and watched that and then we gave Grandma the book -- which turned out really great and she loved it! She said she'd read it every day. After we had Wid tell memories from his childhood that he had of Grandma. It was cute because he got a little teared up and you can tell how much they love each other. There were some interesting things that we learned about Grandma -- she was a tinter! She'd take black and white pictures and use ink to tint them colors. She also made little ceramics. And she also had lots of boys around all the time.

Grandma also shared this poem that she wrote:

"My 90th Birthday

Although my body has become like a gnarled old tree

And it isn’t as straight as it used to be,

It is terribly wrinkled where the fat used to be

And bunched up muscles are a sight to see.

The whole structure is shaky and totters around

And I have to take care or I’ll fall to the ground.


But with all imperfections, wrinkles and bumps

I can still bring a smile that helps me over the humps.

My legs can still walk, maybe not quit so far,

My eyes can still see, but my ears are not up to par.

I can still sing songs that scatter the gloom,

And bring sunshine and beauty to my living room.


I have three wonderful children, two daughters and a son.

They are my life, my strength, and my love,

And the greatest prize I’ve ever won.

I also have many grandchildren,

A brother and his wife.

Who gladly give me service and bring joy to my life.


My home is my heaven where I find peace and rest.

It’s the one place on earth that I like the best.

My Heavenly Father lives with me here,

Granting me blessings and calming my fears.

My greatest desire now is to do His will

And accomplish the mission I am still here to fulfill.

Myrtle Widdison

February 13, 2010"

Anyway here are some pictures from the event...enjoy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

wish so much I could have been there. love Grandma very much.

MayFamily said...

This looks so fun! I wish I could have been there too.