Monday, March 16, 2009

By The Sweat of Our Face Shalt We Eat... Maybe.

The most exciting project that we have going right now is that we are growing a garden. We are using the "square foot" method, which really simplifies the whole process. It was introduced to us by my mom's friend who read/tested Mel Bartholomew's book, Square Foot Gardening, and swears by it. She told us it is fool proof, so we figured it is worth a shot. You build 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 boxes, that you section into square foot sections. Then you put weed cloth and chicken wire on the bottom to keep out weeds and moles. He even has his own formula for the perfect soil to mix, so you don't have to depend on the quality of the soil in your yard.
We built the boxes and planted our seeds/starts back in the first week of March, and our little seeds are beginning to take off. We planted: carrot, lettuce, cucumber, sweet pepper, beans, & pea seeds, and tomato & corn starts. We expect to be harvesting all through May, and then we will try our hand at watermelon and cantaloupe. It is VERY exciting, and at this point in the game, I have visions of planting stuff year round. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully, the birds and bugs will be nice to us. Here's what they look like right now (we still need to plant our marigolds):



Smile for your close up!


5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Impressive!! I am hoping to start my tomatoes in April.

MayFamily said...

do you leave the bottom open? I want some!

Gina said...

No, you nail weed cloth and chicken wire to the bottom. Or, you could nail plywood to the bottom if you want to moved it around or set it on a table. It's very simple. About 15 minutes per box.

Heywood Happenings said...

Gina, this looks so cool! I would love to do something similar, so I will be in touch with my questions! Way to go!

David and Catherine said...

I can't believe you started planting the first week of March! Can you send some of the warmth up to us? We still had a foot of snow on our lawn the first week of March. Your garden looks great!